UPL: BUL held by Gaddafi in a goalless stalemate

BUL FC settled for a point following a disappointing barren stalemate at FUFA technical center in the Jinja derby against Gaddafi on Wednesday.

It’s now three draws and two losses for the Eastern Giants in five matches of the second round.

They enjoyed the greater share of possession and chances after the interval albeit without making the most important breakthrough.

Both sides went into the break all square after neither side could find the opening goal in the quiet first 45 minutes.

The Eastern Giants controlled possession in the half but could not create an opportunity of note, as the Soldier boys did a good job defending their penalty area.

Joel Madondo came close for the visitors inside six minutes, but his weak effort was stopped by Saidi Keni.

It took BUL until the 9th minute to have their first effort in the game.

Following a clean exchange between Martin Aprem, Richard Wandyaka and Ibrahim Nsimbe in Gaddafi’s area, Ibrahim Mugulusi was chanced to have a go at goal but sent his low drive wide.

Simeon Massa’s side was then compelled to make a change midway the stanza when goalkeeper Saidi Keni was forced off with an injury, with Tom Ikara assuming the duties between the posts.

The contest was certainly in need of a spark – and with both sides making a couple of changes upon the resumption, the game breathed some life although it was not enough to hit the expectations of the derby.

In the closing stages of the game, Aprem had two chances to break the deadlock. His first came six minutes to the hour mark but he hesitated to volley the ball in a blink, while his flipped effort a few moments later missed the target by inches.

Samuel Ssekamatte was the next to have a sight of goal for the Eastern Giants as they came close again, but his header off Hillary Onek’s lofted ball into the box just cut across the face of the goal.

BUL remained on the front foot, pressing Gaddafi in their own half with intent and in the additional minutes after the 90, Onek thought he hard won it all for his side but his goal was cancelled for a foul on the opponent’s goalkeeper.

The result has left BUL in the third place with 30 points after 19 matches.

Next is a trip to Arua for an engagement with Onduparaka at the Green Light stadium on April 4th.

About Author

Share this post