UPL: BUL FC edge Maroons in a dominant display

It was a fine end of the first round for the rampant and unforgiving BUL FC team as they thumped Maroons 5-0 in the league at FUFA Technical Center on Wednesday evening.

It was a superb first half for the Eastern Giants who went in at half-time firmly in the driving seat thanks to the outstanding strikes from Martin Aprem and Ronald Otti, with the latter scoring his first goal for the club.

Ivan Wani added a third as we remained in control in the second-half, and Ibrahim Kazindula came off the bench to find the back of the net before Hillary Onek wrapped up the huge victory.

Both teams were battling hard in the middle of the park at the beginning of the contest and not an inch was being given, but a moment of quality from BUL soon broke the deadlock.

Aggrey Madoi threaded a superb low ball to find Onek whose carpet sweeping cross allowed Aprem a first-time shot to give the Eastern Giants a deserved lead four minutes off the half hour mark.

Karim Ndugwa thought he had doubled BUL’s lead three minutes later when Wani flicked the ball with his back heel to set him on the run but referee William Oloya had already whistled signaling an infringement in the build up.

But the Eastern Giants eventually did double their advantage on the stroke of halftime thanks to Otti who was teed up by Onek before dispatching a powerful header past Simon Tamale in Maroons goal.

Before then, things were already worse for the visitors who were forced to put off David Ndihabwe early in the 9th minute, replacing him with Arafat Kakonge.

Solomon Walusimbi saw his effort from near the area go wide while Brian Nkuubi missed from a freekick as Maroons failed to account for the rare opportunities they created.

Ibrahim Mugulusi and Kazindula were thrown in the fray in the second half, and BUL were playing nice football, dominating possession and they were in total control of the game, and they were a danger every time they attacked.

Mugulusi and Aprem shots trickled wide but it wasn’t long before the duo did damage again, Mugulusi crafted a pass down low to Aprem whose tempting cross was poorly cleared by Tamale for Wani to tuck in the third goal for the Eastern Giants.

The floodgates were left open and Isabirye’s men were playing with a real swagger and confidence, and they added to their lead once again with Kazindula getting at the end of Aprem’s well weighted cross into the box to extinguish any hope of a come back from the visitors.

The move started with BUL launching a swift counter-attack with Mugulusi slipping in Aprem who showed off his skill to dart down the flank before beating a gang of men and producing a brilliant low cross for the midfielder to fire in his second goal of the season.

It was then Onek’s turn to join the party when he dispatched a fierce shot from range to beat the goalkeeper, and it was 5-0 for BUL

Ronald Orombi came close moments later and almost pulled one back for Maroons in the 77th minute but his efforts missed at the far post.

Solomon Walusimbi was then felled down by Douglas Muganga near the edge of the box before Abraham Tusubira fired high the resultant freekick, and that was game over for them.

It was the eighth win for the Eastern Giants who were brilliant from start to finish, and their attacking flair proved to be the difference on an entertaining evening in Njeru.

The result leaves BUL in second place on the table with 27 points, only two from pacesetters KCCA. The second round for the Eastern Giants will kick off in early February next year, and Blacks Power will be the visitors at Fufa Technical Center.

Nelson Senkatuka added to Uganda Cranes CHAN provisional squad


About Author

Share this post